blahgKarma

Random musings, observations, squeaks, whimpers and perhaps the ocassional rant. About what, I'm not sure.

Sunday, January 16, 2005

Holy Crap, the New Acrobat is Fast!

Damn.

Download the new Acrobat 7 reader. Guess its called Adobe Reader now. Whatever. If you're viewing PDFs (who isn't?), you want this upgrade, which opens up - oh, I don't know - maybe 100 times faster than Reader 6. Forget about the new features - the damned thing finally PERFORMS.

I have a love-hate relationship with Acrobat. We used to sell against Adobe for electronic forms applications and beat the crap out of them; an enterprise-wide deal with Boeing (where we beat them, BTW) didn't hurt. But for static content (i.e. you're not filling and trying to store/workflow/integrate with other systems), PDFs are great.

I ordered the new Pro version of Acrobat (the whole deal, not Reader), but its not here yet so I DL'd the Reader and like the performance. I like to store documents I'm circulating in PDF, but I'm not using it - or anything, really - for e-forms since the Shana days. God, we were ahead of our time. Designing and distributing and filling forms with our products was a head-and-shoulders-above experience versus even current versions of competing tools. Which is why FileNet snapped us up before someone else could. It certainly wasn't for our good looks or a variety of other company attributes.

I miss our old apps - I could really apply them to good use at my new gig - and my old pals. Used Excel to design a simple form the other day - it sucked compared to what Informed used to do, and the user's experience will pretty well suck too, but its better than paper. That's life...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home