blahgKarma

Random musings, observations, squeaks, whimpers and perhaps the ocassional rant. About what, I'm not sure.

Monday, November 14, 2005

Guy Talks - People Listen...

KawasakiThis must be my week for cool new Internet “stuff”.  Got the following e-mail from Guy Kawasaki late last week that started with…

I’d like to show you the coolest thing I’ve seen since Macintosh: FilmLoop...

OK, that got my attention, especially from Guy.  He knows a little about the coolness of the Macintosh, having helped create much of it.  Not to mention he knows a bit about startups, tech ventures, etc.

FilmLoop is a small client/server application that allows creation of online slide-shows, hosted at filmloop.com and organized and presented fim-strip fashion.  To see one I put together in all of three minutes, click here and you’ll be prompted to install and register the player (that takes all of about 30 seconds), and then voila!  If you’re already using FilmLoop, you can go straight to my loop by clicking here – its a bunch of cool helicopter photos.

FilmloopBesides being able to create a Loop and share it with a couple of clicks (FilmLoop has a built-in invitation system, which works well), viewers can be granted privs to add photos if the owner so chooses, and there’s a catalog of public Loops, a couple of which I enjoyed including a Victoria’s Secret loop and a Skateboarder Magazine loop which I specifically did not enjoy for the models, but for the artistic expression and unique use of the product (grin).

The business model here is “free to Loop owners and viewers, supported by embedded advertising”.  I hope they eventually offer some sort of paid model sans ads – I don’t mind them, but I could never apply the product in the business world knowing I was embedding the advertising along with the content.

I’ll post more when I’ve used the product a bit more, but my first impression is “very cool”.  Its free, its unique, its flexible and it allows you to share Loops with the click of a button.  Why aren’t the cool A-Listers like Scoble, Halley, and Buzz not blogging about this yet?  Did I beat them to the punch?  Maybe Guy e-mailed me INSTEAD of them?  You think?(grin)

Go, FilmLoop, go!

2 Comments:

At 11/14/2005 12:26:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

It is cool, but is it really as cool as the Mac?

 
At 11/14/2005 01:18:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Just thought I'd mention that the invitation you have for the Victoria Secret's Loop is missing a letter. Here's the actual link you can use :

http://www.filmloop.com/x?X2GnNk5cy2eCjaSEdRau20wR5PmM-bSc

 

Post a Comment

<< Home